A large part of disaster management is prevention. Prevention requires much less effort and suffering than response or assistance after a disaster has happened, so prevention is always preferable. Therefore whether you're installing a new fireplace or lighting a candle, you should always know the proper safety procedures that will help you prevent things from getting out of hand. Here are some basic fire safety rules you should always follow. You can also leave the fireplace installation to the qualified experts.

Monitor Heat Sources

Many fires are caused by carelessness around open flames and heat sources. Whenever you are using a candle, cooking on the stove, or smoking a cigarette, always make sure to follow the proper procedures. Never leave a flame lit in a part of your home you are not in and make sure any flammable materials, such as paper and fabric, are not situated close to a heat source. Children should never be allowed to play with candles or use the stove unsupervised.

Maintain Appliances

Electricity can easily cause a fire if the cords on your appliances or the outlets themselves are worn or overloaded. To prevent an electrical fire from sweeping through your property, keep everything in good repair and unplug appliances when they're not being used. Keep a careful eye on anything that generates heat, such as a space heater or hair dryer, and make sure the fuses in your fuse box are the correct rating.

Install Warning Alarms

Despite all our precautions, sometimes fires do still happen, which can put you and your family at risk. Install smoke detectors on every floor and in every bedroom and test them regularly. If the alarm does go off, make sure everyone knows the evacuation procedure and how to keep low away from smoke. Have a practice drill to give everyone the confidence they will need if they are ever faced with a real fire.

Know Extinguishing Procedures

Occasionally, while we are being vigilant about our use of stoves and candles, we will spot a small fire as it flares up. Knowing how to extinguish the fire will save you having to look for another home with your insurance money. Have an extinguisher available in the kitchen for grease and electrical fires, as they will not respond to dousing with water. If it doesn't go out within a minute, flee. Never attempt to fight a large fire yourself.




Copyright (c) 2008 -